history of 3-d photography and anaglyphs
The idea of stereoscopy actually preceded photography. As early
as 1584, Leonardo da Vinci, one of the great scientific artists,
studied the perception of depth.
Stereoscopic, or 3-D photography, works because it is able to
recreate the illusion of depth. Human eyes are set about two-and-a-half
inches apart, so each eye sees an image slightly differently.
If you take two separate photographs that same distance apart,
with a suitable viewer it is possible to recreate that illusion
There is some dispute in 3-d circles whether the concept was invented
by Sir Charles Wheatstone who, in June 1838, gave an address to
the Royal Scottish Society of Arts on the phenomena of binocularvision.
He made geometric 3-D drawings and a device to view them called
a reflecting mirror stereoscrope. (This is preserved at the Science
Museum in London.)
Almost twelve years later, a Scottish scientist named Sir David
Brewster invented the first practical photographic device called
the lenticular stereoscrope.
Early workers in this field include Fenton, who took photographs
in Russia, when he visited there in 1852, and Jules Duboscq, who
made stereoscopes and stereoscopic daguerreotypes. Duboscq in
turn caused Antoine Claudet to become interested in stereoscopy;
Claudet patented stereoscopes in 1853.
The stereoscope took off in a big way when Queen Victoria and
Prince Albert observed one at the exhibition at the Crystal Palace,
and Brewster presented her with a stereoscope made by Duboscq.
Almost overnight a 3-D industry developed and 250,000 stereoscropes
were produced and sold in a short time. Stereographers were sent
throughout the world to capture views for the new medium and feed
the demand for 3-D.
The golden age of stereography had begun. From 1860 to the 1930's,
the stereo cards documented life of the time and important events.
A variety of viewers became available, from the simple Holmes
viewer to cabinet-type viewers which could store fifty or so positives.
The London Stereoscopic and Photographic Company came into being
in 1850 and continued for seventy years.
The Stereoscopic Society was founded in 1893, and still exists
today see resources for details
||When the stereoscope began to decline in the late 1930's, another
application for 3-D was invented by a German-born tinkerer named
William Gruber. Kodak had introduced flexible 35mm film and Gruber
invented a method for taking and showing 3-D views with this new
film. In partnership with Harold Graves, Gruber formed the View-Master
company in 1939. 3-D took off all over again. Over one thousand
million reels have been sold world-wide.
The revival of 3-d photography that took place in the 1980's was
because of the introduction of the 4-lensed NIMSLO 3-d camera,
designed for making lenticular prints for viewing without a viewer.
Recently there have been many other 3-d innovations. Disposable
3-d cameras and the Loreo SLR lens adaptor system being just two.
The IMAX cinema has just opened in the Trocadero Centre in London.
Some say that 3-d may well make a come back because of their new
I went on the 17th January 1998, a few weeks after it had opened.
It was packed out and utterly absorbing. See the resources section for contact info.
"Anaglyph" is derived from two Greek words meaning "again" and
The conventional method of viewing stereoscopic photographs in
the last century was to use a viewer which held a pair of images,
enabled each eye to see only one; by fusing these together a three
dimensional effect was recreated.
The discovery of anaglyphic 3-D has been attributed to a French
gentleman named Joseph D'Almeida, who used the technique in the
1850s to project glass stereo lantern slides.
William Friese-Green created the first three-dimensional anaglyphic
motion pictures in 1889, which had public exhibition in 1893.
3-D films enjoyed something of a boom in the 1920s. Early anaglyphic
films were designated as "plasticons" and "plastigram s." These
used only one strip of film that was coated with emulsion on both
sides. The Red image was applied to the front and the green image
to the back. In 1922, a novel plasticon opened at the Rivoli Theatre
in New York titled "Movies of the Future," which gave the viewer
optional endings. To view the happy ending, one watched through
the red filter. The green filter revealed the tragic ending. The
term "3-D" was coined in the 1950's. As late as 1954 films such
as "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" were very successful.
In 1953, the anaglyph had begun appearing in newspapers, magazines
and comic books. The 3-D comic books were one of the most interesting
applications of anaglyph to printing. They were invented by comic
artists Joe Kubert and Norman Maurer in 1953 using a cell acetate
technique with several levels that were opaqued on the back and
shifted to produce the left and right eye views. Priced at twenty-five
cents instead of the usual dime, the 3-D comics included red and
green "space goggles." When Kubert and Maurer's first book, "Three
Dimension Comics," starring Mighty Mouse, hit the stands it was
an instant sell-out.
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) 98k
|Over the years, anaglyphic pictures have sporadically appeared
in comics and magazine ads. Jaws 3-d was a box-office success
in 1983. The interest in this form of 3-d still continues today,
the NFT held a well-attended anaglyphic 3-d film festival in September